Friday, May 29, 2009

Compartmentalizing

(For those of you who don't go to I'm Not Hannah, this is a verbatim post from over there. I'm thinking about moving everything here over there somehow. Or keeping this as a holder blog. Or something. If you ARE an I'm Not Hannah reader, there is nothing new here for you to see. Bless your sweet heart.)

I think I've written about this before. The main fault with my labeling system is that it has a lot of vague, cute designations that offer very little in the way of search-aid. This particular post needs a label like, "contemplating the fate of my blogging universe" or "is having more than one blog a sign of schizophrenia?"

I have, over the course of my blogging life, had three blogs. The first is this one. I like this one. I'm bored with the template and know that I need some linkage overhaul, but I like it. I've made friends through it and it is a great way for me to keep track of my momentous occasions. I still love to go back and read about River's birth, because it was such a profound experience and it's hard for me to remember every moment of it when she's doing what she's doing right now, which is being curled up in a ball on the other side of the baby gate moaning because she can't get through, but won't ask for help, preferring instead to be as dramatic as possible. (For real, she's saying, "Oooh, nooooo. Oh, nooooooo. I will nebbuh see my mommy agiiiiiiiiin." As she stares at me.)

The second is NotHannah's Greenspace. I started it because I realized that not everybody gets all crazy-excited about the fact that my muscadine vines have overcome the idiocy of me dragging them out of my azaleas. Also, I often write with an eye to the funny and it's sometimes hard to write "and then I made the week's worth of pancakes" in a humorous way. I mean, it's pancakes, yo. They just kinda...sit there. I like having NHGS because it's a good way for me to (River is now accusing Frodo of being whiny. She is gonna make a hell of a psychological study one day.) chart weather and planting and what not. I could put it down on paper, I guess, and be one of those people whose kids have to deal with stacks and stacks of journals with entries like "March 22, 2010. Planted onions. It rained. I had a pimento cheese sandwich" when I die. Blogging seems easier and less likely to make my children break the Southern commandment to not speak ill of the dead.

The third was a now-defunct, never mentioned in the world of Not Hannah blog in which I discussed my spirituality. It's not that I'm ashamed of my spirituality, but the simple truth is that as I try to hammer out my own personal dogma, it's a lot easier to not talk about it with most folks. The personal religious freedom I value all Americans having is awesome, but I don't always need folks exercising it all up in my face, know what I mean? HOWEVER, it was nice for the few weeks that I wrote in it to be able to get some feedback from other folks walking the same(ish) path that I was and nice to have my musings down on...er...paper.

Here's the problem, then. I have somehow convinced myself that it is stressful having more than one blog. It probably ISN'T stressful, but the two of them feel like one (two more?) more thing (things?) that I can't get to in the course of a busy day, and I think the pressure I have (idiotically) put on myself is feeding into the dangerous and ridiculous "there's so much to do ACK I can't do it all ACK maybe I should just play eighteen games of Bejeweled Blitz instead" procrastination cycle of doom and despair that I like to plunge myself into.

I am in an organizational phase right now, brought on by the fact that Will will be on vacation soon and will want to transfer his managerial skills from school to home and thus make me feel oppressed and anxious. (Bless his sweet heart for living with me. He deserves a medal and a Xanax.) So I'm all like, "Gotta plant the garden. Gotta wash the clothes. Gotta get rid of stuff. Gotta scrub and put away and FOR THE LOVE OF THE FILING CABINET PUT IT TO ORDER!!!!"

The blog is just a tee-ninecy, often neglected bit of my life and so restructuring it should probably be last on my list of priorities, behind "scrubbing the baseboards" and "finally cleaning out the flatware drawer." But I can't help but think that if I started streamlined, it would be better. After all, planting limas is just as much a part of me as battling snot monsters. Deciding whether making instant oatmeal from regular oatmeal is worth it from a time/cost perspective is as immediately concerning to me as the idiocy of people like Tom Tancredo (Note to his idiotic self: Hey, buddy. If it doesn't have hoods and nooses, it isn't the KKK, you massive, ignorant wanker.)

So. Would anybody here (all, like, 17 or so of you) be mortally offended if I mixed the gardening/thrifty/crafty part of me with the mommy/political/writery part? I mean, I don't want to bore anybody silly with posts about hills versus ditches for corn-planting. Additionally, I don't want to freak out anybody coming here looking for a discussion on biscuits and finding, instead, a discussion about nether regions. Personal nether regions. Or maybe spiritual nether regions. I mean, Hell is a fascinating concept and I'm pretty sure that my mailbox area is a Hellmouth, so it might come up.

I'm just saying.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Not Hannah,
I've been reading your posts all evening, even though I'm dead tired and my teething 18 mo keeps waking up and i should get to bed. Have you published anything yet? Are you working on a novel? Please tell me yes, and when you have, I'll buy it. I'm addicted. I love your writing. Okay. I grew up in Atlanta, but have been living in Sydney (that's Australia, yes) for 11 years now, have 3 kids, am a writer, revising a novel I wrote years ago set in Georgia, back when Georgia was still kinda home.... So I'm looking for blogs from the South, to remind me. It's been a while since I've been home, and I can't come anytime soon, no way I'm flying with an 18 mo, 4 yo, 6 yo. Insane and expensive. If you have any good recommendations, let me know. And I love the spiritual mixed with gardening mixed with parenting. But that's my life, too. Though I don't garden, because I've got leeches out front and wombats and wallabies and echidnas out back and 3 kids, school, driving to school, laundry. But I fantasize about gardening, one day...
Michelle :)

Not Hannah said...

Hi, Michelle! I have published a few pieces, mostly nonfiction, but I'm currently working on a novel about...a small town in Georgia. Also, can I say that I love you? I mean, I don't know you, so it's a little awkward, but DANG, girl...I love to wake up in the morning to such nice compliments!

Hmmm...blogs set in the South. Well. I love Joshilyn Jackson's blog (and her fiction writing.) http://www.joshilynjackson.com/mt/
I also like O The Joys...her link is on I'm Not Hannah. And I just found this one, which seems promising...http://lifeatnumber17.blogspot.com/

I would die if I had to deal with leeches. Or wombats. I hear they bite.

Michelle said...

cool, thanks for links & love; SAHM who are writers from Georgia must stick together in this world...KEEP POSTING! I'll be reading. Have you checked out Nathan Bransford's blog re having an agent/publication, or maybe you have an agent. I'm looking.
No leeches now, it's been a dry winter (I know, it's winter here, my parents are visiting from Atlanta, freezing in my house, Australians have no central heating).
good night!
Michelle x