Tuesday, May 27, 2008

And the Garden Goes Wild!!!

So, I go away for the weekend and I come back and the garden is nuts. Seriously, you would think that I was fertilizing with unicorn poo (thank yooouuu, Robin McKinley) or something. I went away from a blooming but non-fruited garden and came back to:



Ichiban eggplants that make me blush a little. (Also, Blogger, what the heck is up with your picture loading? It's driving me crazy!!!)




Almost overripe squash on the volunteer crookneck that sprang up next to the compost pile.
The plant is seen below because...Blogger? Seriously? This photo stuff is making me insane!!



The leaves are bigger than my head. Or my torso, which is saying more. A lot more.




Banana peppers of such yellowness that they really look a little like bananas. Gorgeous.


So many Roma tomatoes amid such lush foliage that I'm afraid I'm going to come up on a snake. Or, you know, a tiger.


Really, it's all very verdant and staggering, especially given that I haven't staked the Romas or the cukes and that my broccoli is still producing and I really probably need to do away with the snap peas which are growing but not blooming and then there's the irrigation system.


I am embarrassed by the success of the raised bed system. I'm not sure I'm a good enough (or prompt enough) gardener for the bounty that is coming.



Oh, and here's a shot of the Boston Pickling cukes. They need to be trellised before they take over the world. (Wonder if it's the banana peel seen in the behind the blossoms?)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What well-endowed eggplant you have. Sorry, couldn't help it. Your garden is flourishing. You obviously have a very green thumb.

Not Hannah said...

I'm going to have a hard time eating it tonight. Ah...low garden humour.

I wish I could say it was my green thumb, but I think it's just serendipity and good planning.